Starting a content marketing agency is a great way to help businesses large and small achieve their marketing goals. A well-run content marketing agency can provide quality, engaging content that helps companies connect with customers and grow their business.
Here are the 10 steps you can take to get started on building your very own content marketing agency business.
10 Steps to Launching a New Content Marketing Agency Business
1. Choose Your Type of Content Marketing Agency Business
The first step in launching a content marketing agency business is to identify the type of content marketing agency business you want to launch. You might choose from the following types among others:
- Advertising agency that creates and places content
- Digital marketing agency that focuses on online content
- Consulting firm that provides strategy and advice
- PR agency that uses content to earn media coverage
2. Name Your Content Marketing Agency Business
Give your content marketing agency business an identity so people will think of it as a well-known and respected brand. You can take the name of your content marketing agency business from your industry, focus on a geographical location, or use your own name among other options.
The main goal for naming your content marketing agency business is to make it sound appealing and trustworthy so people will want to do business with you.
3. Determine Your Content Marketing Agency Business Model
There are several possible types of business models for a content marketing agency business including:
- Commission-based: You earn a commission on the content you place with businesses.
- Retainer: You charge a monthly fee to manage a business’s content.
- Project-based: You charge a set fee for each project you complete.
- Hybrid: You mix different types of pricing models depending on the client and project.
No matter which model you choose, make sure that it aligns with your business goals and the services you offer.
Read more about choosing the right business model for your content marketing agency business.
4. Choose a Legal Form for Your Business
By incorporating your content marketing agency business, you will limit your liability. You can incorporate as a Limited Liability Company (LLC), a C Corporation (C-Corp), or an S Corporation (S-Corp). Or you can operate as a sole proprietorship.
The business structure you choose for your content marketing agency business will determine the amount of taxes you pay and which state or federal tax forms you need to file.
5. Write a Content Marketing Agency Business Plan
All content marketing agency business owners should develop a business plan.
A business plan is a document that outlines the goals, strategies, and operations of a business. It can be used to secure funding from investors or lenders, as well as to guide the day-to-day operations of the business. The business plan should include information on the company’s products or services, market analysis, financial projections, and management team among other things.
When developing your content marketing agency business plan and strategy, you should think about the following questions your customers might have:
- What services do you offer?
- How will you help my business grow?
- Who will be creating the content?
- What are your rates?
- Do you have any case studies or testimonials?
- What should I expect from working with you?
Answering these questions in your business plan will give potential customers a better understanding of what your content marketing agency business can do for them.
Read our article about how to write a content marketing agency business plan.
6. Apply for the Necessary Permits and Licenses
There may be required licenses and permits you need to obtain before launching your content marketing agency business.
For example, if you will be producing videos, you may need to obtain a film permit from the city or county where your business is located. Or, if you plan on conducting business in multiple states, you may need to get a multi-state sales tax permit.
You must also register your content marketing agency business as a legal entity with the state where you plan to do business. You can simply file an online form through your Secretary of State website.
Registering with the federal government is also essential so you can properly pay taxes for your business. You will also need an Employer Identification Number (EIN), which you can apply for at the IRS website, if you plan to hire employees.
7. Determine Your Budget & Apply for Funding as Needed
In developing your content marketing agency business plan, you will figure out how much funding you need to start and grow your business.
If you have your own funds to invest in your content marketing agency business, you may consider taking advantage of that. In addition to your personal funds, other forms of potential funding for your content marketing agency business include traditional bank loans, SBA loans, credit cards, angel investors and family and friends.
Read our article about the costs associated with starting a content marketing agency business to help you determine if funding is needed.
8. Get the Technology & Software Needed to Run Your Business Efficiently
When you start your content marketing agency business, it’s essential to have the right technology in place to maximize efficiency. You definitely need a computer with Internet access, and accounting software for tracking expenses and revenues.
You may also want to invest in project management software to help you keep track of deadlines and assignments. There are many project management software programs available, so be sure to research the options before making a decision.
9. Market Your Content Marketing Agency Business to Potential Clients
Before you start selling your services, you have to let the world know you exist. The first step is to create a website so people can learn more about your services and how they benefit them.
After you launch your website, start promoting it through social media channels like Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter. Also consider networking with other people in the content marketing industry through social media and blogs so they can help share your business.
You also need to start gathering the materials needed to execute on your promotions strategy, which is your strategy for attracting new customers. Content marketing agency businesses should consider the following promotional strategies for which you should start getting prepared:
- Creating a strong social media presence
- Creating valuable content
- Speaking at conferences and events
- Sponsoring industry-related events
- Creating partnerships with other businesses in complementary industries
Read our article about how to market your content marketing agency business for more tips.
10. Get New Clients & Grow Your Business
When you promote your services, you’ll start to get interest from potential clients.
Make sure you’re ready to serve these clients. Also, be sure to establish systems to ensure consistency and reduce costs. And be sure to find and train the right people to help you grow your content marketing agency business.
Read our article about how to effectively grow your content marketing agency business to learn more.
Starting a Content Marketing Agency Business FAQs
Content marketing agencies offer an important service to businesses that need help creating and distributing content. By starting a content marketing agency, you can be your own boss, set your own hours, and work with clients who interest you.
To start a successful content marketing agency business, you need to have strong writing and editing skills, experience with social media and digital marketing, and an understanding of the content marketing process. You also need to be able to manage projects and meet deadlines.
You can start a content marketing agency business from home by establishing a workspace and home office. Then, invest in the technology and software you need to run your business efficiently. Finally, start marketing your business to potential clients.
You can start a content marketing agency business online by creating a website and promoting your business through social media channels. You should also consider networking with other people in the content marketing industry to help get your business off the ground.
Some tips for starting a content marketing agency business include:
- Find your niche
- Offer value to potential clients
- Develop a promotional strategy
- Get the right technology and software in place
- Train the right people to help you grow your business
A simple checklist to use when starting a content marketing agency business is as follows:
- Choose Your Type of Content Marketing Agency: This should be based on what you are best at and how much experience you have. Remember to keep your interests, skills, and experience in mind at all times.
- Name Your Content Marketing Agency Business: This should be done with care, as your brand is important for attracting the right customers. A simple, memorable name will go a long way.
- Choose a Legal Form for Your Business: Whether you choose to become a sole proprietorship, partnership, LLC, corporation or another option will depend on your business. Ensure that you are aware of all the implications of each type.
- Determine Your Content Marketing Agency Business Model: Determine how your business will make money. Will you sell products, services, or a combination of both?
- Write a Content Marketing Agency Business Plan: Your business plan will also help you determine what your start-up costs will be and will provide a roadmap with which you can launch and grow.
- Apply for the Necessary Permits and Licenses: In most locations you will be required to apply for a business license and/or permits before you can begin operations.
- Determine Your Budget & Apply for Funding as Needed: You will need to know how much money you have to spend on all of your business-related expenses before opening any doors. If needed, apply for a small business loan or other funding options.
- Get the Technology & Software Needed to Run Your Business Efficiently: You need to have the right tools in place to succeed. Implement software that will help you manage your time, contacts, and business operations in general.
- Market Your Content Marketing Agency Business to Potential Clients: A solid marketing plan will be crucial to your success. It should focus on attracting the right customers so that you can provide them with the services they truly need.
- Get Clients & Grow Your Business: Once you have a solid marketing plan, it's time to actively pursue and secure those who could benefit the most from your services.
Starting a content marketing agency requires effort, but with the right tools and advice in place, you can make it a success. Follow the steps outlined in this article to get started on a solid path and begin attracting the clients you need to grow your business.