Starting an email marketing agency can be a very lucrative business opportunity. There are many important steps to take in order to make sure your business is successful.
Here are the 9 steps you can take to get started on building your very own email marketing agency.
9 Steps to Launching a New Email Marketing Agency
1. Name Your Email Marketing Agency
Give your email marketing agency an identity so people will think of it as a well-known and respected brand. You can take the name of your email marketing agency from your industry, focus on a geographical location, or use your own name among other options.
The main goal for naming your email marketing agency is to make it sound appealing and trustworthy so that potential clients are more likely to do business with you.
2. Determine Your Email Marketing Agency Business Model
There are several possible types of business models for an email marketing agency including:
- Pay per click (PPC)
- Pay per lead (PPL)
- Pay per sale (PPS)
No matter which model you choose, make sure that it aligns with your business goals and the services you offer.
Read more about choosing the right business model for your email marketing agency.
3. Choose a Legal Form for Your Business
By incorporating your email marketing agency, you will limit your liability. You can incorporate as a Limited Liability Company (LLC), a C Corporation (C-Corp), or an S Corporation (S-Corp). Or you can operate as a sole proprietorship.
The business structure you choose for your email marketing agency will determine the amount of taxes you pay and which state or federal tax forms you need to file.
4. Write an Email Marketing Agency Business Plan
All email marketing agency owners should develop a business plan.
A business plan is a document that outlines the goals, strategies, and operations of a business. It can be used to secure funding from investors or lenders, as well as to guide the day-to-day operations of the business. The business plan should include information on the company’s products or services, market analysis, financial projections, and management team among other things.
When developing your email marketing agency business plan and strategy, you should think about the following questions your customers might have:
- What services does your email marketing agency offer?
- What is the process for working with your email marketing agency?
- How often will I receive reports on the progress of my campaign?
- Can you help me design my email campaign?
- Who will be writing the copy for my email campaign?
- What are your rates?
- Do you offer discounts for long-term contracts?
- Are there any other fees I should be aware of?
- What is the minimum contract length?
Answering these questions in your business plan will give potential customers a better understanding of what your email marketing agency can do for them.
Read our article about how to write an email marketing agency business plan.
5. Apply for the Necessary Permits and Licenses
There may be required licenses and permits you need to obtain before launching your email marketing agency.
For example, if you will be sending email marketing campaigns on behalf of your clients, you will need to comply with the CAN-SPAM Act. This law establishes requirements for commercial email messages, gives customers the right to opt out of receiving emails from you, and sets penalties for violations.
You must also register your email marketing agency as a legal entity with the state where you plan to do business. You can simply file an online form through your Secretary of State website.
Registering with the federal government is also essential so you can properly pay taxes for your business. You will also need an Employer Identification Number (EIN), which you can apply for at the IRS website, if you plan to hire employees.
6. Determine Your Budget & Apply for Funding as Needed
In developing your email marketing agency business plan, you will figure out how much funding you need to start and grow your business.
If you have your own funds to invest in your email marketing agency, you may consider taking advantage of that. In addition to your personal funds, other forms of potential funding for your email marketing agency include traditional bank loans, SBA loans, credit cards, angel investors and family and friends.
Read our article about the costs associated with starting an email marketing agency to help you determine if funding is needed.
7. Get the Technology & Software Needed to Run Your Business Efficiently
When you start your email marketing agency, it’s essential to have the right technology in place to maximize efficiency. You definitely need a computer with Internet access, and accounting software for tracking expenses and revenues.
You may also want to invest in CRM software to help manage your client relationships, as well as email marketing software to automate your campaigns and track their results.
When selecting technology and software for your email marketing agency, be sure to consider the needs of your team, as well as your budget.
8. Market Your Email Marketing Agency to Potential Clients
Before you start selling your services, you have to let the world know you exist. The first step is to create a website so people can learn more about your services and how they benefit them.
After you launch your website, start promoting it through social media channels like Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter. Also consider networking with other people in the email marketing industry through social media and blogs so they can help share your business.
You also need to start gathering the materials needed to execute on your promotions strategy, which is your strategy for attracting new customers. Email marketing agency businesses should consider the following promotional strategies for which you should start getting prepared:
- Develop a content marketing strategy to attract potential customers through blog posts, ebooks, and other helpful resources.
- Reach out to potential clients through social media channels like LinkedIn and Twitter.
- Network with other people in the email marketing industry to spread the word about your business.
- Create a website and promote it through search engine optimization (SEO) techniques.
- Develop an email marketing campaign that targets potential clients in your industry.
- Attend trade shows and other events related to your industry.
Read our article about how to market your email marketing agency for more tips.
9. Get New Clients & Grow Your Business
When you promote your services, you’ll start to get interest from potential clients.
Make sure you’re ready to serve these clients. Also, be sure to establish systems to ensure consistency and reduce costs. And be sure to find and train the right people to help you grow your email marketing agency.
Read our article about how to effectively grow your email marketing agency to learn more.
Starting an Email Marketing Agencies FAQs
There are many reasons to start an email marketing agency. Here are a few key benefits:
- Email marketing is an extremely effective way to reach and engage customers.
- It’s relatively easy and inexpensive to start an email marketing agency.
- You can work from anywhere in the world as long as you have an Internet connection.
- You can be your own boss and set your own hours.
- There is a lot of potential for growth as the email marketing industry continues to evolve.
In order to start a successful email marketing agency, you need the following:
- A computer with Internet access
- Accounting software
- CRM software
- Email marketing software
- A website
- Promotional materials (e.g., blog posts, e-books, etc.)
- A solid understanding of email marketing
- A passion for helping businesses grow
Starting an email marketing agency from home is a great way to get started with minimal overhead costs. All you need is a computer with internet access, accounting software, CRM software, email marketing software, and a website. You can also promote your business through social media channels, blogs, and networking with other people in the email marketing industry.
Establish a workspace and home office. Finally, start developing your promotional materials and email marketing campaigns.
Starting an email marketing agency online is a great way to get started with minimal overhead costs. Develop a website and promote it through SEO techniques. Use social media channels, blogs, and networking to spread the word about your business. Finally, develop an email marketing campaign that targets potential clients in your industry.
Here are some tips for starting an email marketing agency:
- Use social media, blogs, and networking to promote your business.
- Develop a content marketing strategy to attract potential customers.
- Reach out to potential clients through LinkedIn and Twitter.
- Create a website and optimize it for search engines.
- Develop an email marketing campaign that targets your ideal client.
- Attend trade shows and other events related to your industry.
- Get involved with the email marketing community.
- Offer free resources and helpful tips on your website and blog.
- Train your team members to be experts in email marketing.
- Measure your success and constantly strive to improve.
A simple checklist to use when starting an email marketing agency is as follows:
- Name Your Email Marketing Agency: This should be done with care, as your brand is important for attracting the right customers. A simple, memorable name will go a long way.
- Choose a Legal Form for Your Business: Whether you choose to become a sole proprietorship, partnership, LLC, corporation or another option will depend on your business. Ensure that you are aware of all the implications of each type.
- Determine Your Email Marketing Agency Business Model: Determine how your business will make money. Will you sell products, services, or a combination of both?
- Write an Email Marketing Agency Business Plan: Your business plan will also help you determine what your start-up costs will be and will provide a roadmap with which you can launch and grow.
- Apply for the Necessary Permits and Licenses: In most locations you will be required to apply for a business license and/or permits before you can begin operations.
- Determine Your Budget & Apply for Funding as Needed: You will need to know how much money you have to spend on all of your business-related expenses before opening any doors. If needed, apply for a small business loan or other funding options.
- Get the Technology & Software Needed to Run Your Business Efficiently: You need to have the right tools in place to succeed. Implement software that will help you manage your time, contacts, and business operations in general.
- Market Your Email Marketing Agency to Potential Clients: A solid marketing plan will be crucial to your success. It should focus on attracting the right customers so that you can provide them with the services they truly need.
- Get Clients & Grow Your Business: Once you have a solid marketing plan, it's time to actively pursue and secure those who could benefit the most from your services.
Starting an email marketing agency requires effort, but with the right tools and advice in place, you can make it a success. Follow the steps outlined in this article to get started on the right foot and begin attracting the clients you need to grow your business.